ORIGINS of PLACE NAMES
Information taken from 'A Guild to Tirril and Sockbridge' - undertaken by Pooley Bridge and District Women's Institute, assisted by Mr J L Towler.
Photo by Simon Ledingham
The structure of the name suggests that it began in the Anglo-Saxon period. The earliest mention is in 1170 when it was known as 'Socabret'. 'Soc' is Old English for 'suck', and hence a sucking or marshy place. 'Bret' means board, so boards lead across a marshy place, to be replaced later by a bridge, perhaps across the Lady Beck, where the present bridge crosses the stream
The name derives from the times of the Scandinavian settlers who arrived from the west. It was first recorded in 1189 when it was known as Tyrerhge. The Norse ending 'erg' or in this case 'erhge' denotes a shieling or shelter, this one built of tarred fir wood.
This is even later in origin. The name arrived from the east with the Danes and this is the only Danish settlement in this area. It was first recorded in 1333 and was an outlying farm or dependent settlement perhaps of Sockbridge.
What is quite remarkable is that these settlements should be situated so close together.